If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site


You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 12-24-2017

Tips for a pet safe Meowy Christmas and Happy Howlidays!

The holiday season is meant to be an occasion for relaxing and spending quality time with your loved ones, furry or otherwise (once all the shopping and craziness is done!).  The last thing any family would want is for their pet to spend Christmas at an animal emergency clinic because of a holiday-related mishap. 

'Tis the season to be mindful of our four legged friends and their safety!

Seasonal Plants and Decorations

Christmas Tree: Ensure that your tree is securely anchored so that it cannot fall onto a curious pet.  Also make sure that your pet is unable to drink any tree water as it can contain fertilizers that may cause stomach upset.

Plants: Poinsettias have gotten a bad rep. While they’re not the best thing for your pet to be eating (they can cause mild GI problems), the real culprits to watch out for are mistletoe, holly and lilies which can cause symptoms related to GI system, cardiovascular and even result in kidney failure.

Tinsel: Cats in particular find it hard to resist the temptation of these silvery strands.  Ingestion can lead to vomiting and a serious obstruction that may require surgery.

Candles: Don’t leave any candles left unattended or in reach of your pet.  The swipe of a paw or the wag of a tail can cause injury to your pet and become a fire hazard within your home.

Wires: All those extra lights may make a beautiful glow but your pet might be tempted to chew on exposed wires which can lead to burns on the mouth or electrical shock.  Secure extra wiring with cable management tubes and keep an eye on your pet.


Sweets: Make sure your pet doesn’t have access to any chocolate

(the darker it is, the worse the toxicity) or treats containing xylitol.  Many dogs have been known to rip open presents under the tree or dig in garbage cans to score some of these delectables which are highly toxic.

Leftovers: Your pet should not get leftovers that are fatty, spicy or contain bones.  Pancreatitis and obstruction are not fun ways to spend the holidays.

Adult Drinks: Care should be taken with any alcoholic beverages.  If ingested by your pet, it can cause weakness, respiratory issues and even coma.


Keeping the above safety tips in mind, we wish you a safe Meowy Christmas and Happy Howlidays!  If you do have an emergency outside of regular hours, please contact your local animal emergency hospital such as Animal Emergency Clinic of the Fraser Valley or Vancouver Animal Emergency Centre

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

Hospital Hours

Monday, Wednesday, Friday | 8:30 am - 6:00 pm

Tuesday, Thursday | 8:30 am - 7:00 pm

Saturday | 9:00 am - 4:30 pm

We Are Closed Sundays and Statutory Holidays.

 Doctors hours may vary.

Welcome to Kennedy Heights Animal and Bird Hospital - your full-service AAHA Accredited animal hospital! We provide complete services for dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs and reptiles. We value our relationships with our clients and pets, and look forward to providing compassionate care to you and your pets

Office Hours

Monday8:30 am7:00 pm
Tuesday8:30 am7:00 pm
Wednesday8:30 am7:00 pm
Thursday8:30 am7:00 pm
Friday8:30 am7:00 pm
Saturday9:00 am4:30 pm
Day Morning Afternoon
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
8:30 am 8:30 am 8:30 am 8:30 am 8:30 am 9:00 am Closed
7:00 pm 7:00 pm 7:00 pm 7:00 pm 7:00 pm 4:30 pm Closed